Pages


Thursday, May 16, 2013

Blue Scilla for Woodland Settings


BLUE BLUE BLUE BLUE BLUE

Scilla and Chinodoxia in tiny bottle/vase

One of my favorite springtime flowers is SCILLA. This small star shaped flower grows in profusion in woodland area's and throughout the border garden in my zone 4-5 backyard. Since it is one of the first flowers to bloom it does not compete with other varieties planted in those beds. By the time the other perennials are emerging, the scilla dies back. Scilla can be purchased as bulbs and planted in fall. The blooming plants will spread (profusely) from seed. I have noticed some scilla growing in the nearby lawn, however once it is mowed it disappears. When it gets too thick in the garden bed it is easily removed.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment/inquiry. I moderate comments before posting them. If you have an inquiry that requires a response please include your email address (I do not post inquiries or your email address).